What game would you consider to be the final farewell to the system it was on?

PekoponTAS

Every video game system has to come to an end at some point, and generally there tends to be that one game near the end of a system's life cycle that feels like a final farewell to the system it was on. Not necessarily the LAST good game on the system, or its "swan song", but one that just overall feels like closure to the system's life. I'll give two examples.

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars on SNES really felt like the final sending off of the SNES. The game had a very long and satisfying ending with a big parade to give a final celebratory farewell to arguably the best gaming system ever. It was Mario's last game on the system, and the parade ends with Mario and Peach riding a big glowing star and waving goodbye to the player. After that there's the fireworks sequence, and of course the beautiful, tear jerking "The End" screen. It really felt like a great send off to the system, even though we still had a handful of great games left to come out. (Kirby Super Star, Donkey Kong Country 3, Kirby's Dream Land 3, and one could even make an argument for Harvest Moon)

Then in 2010, I'd consider Sonic Colours to be the final farewell to the Wii. Even though Kirby, Zelda, Xenoblade, and Rythm Heaven were going to come later, Sonic Colours to me felt like the final tribute to the Wii, even though it wasn't a Nintendo game. The final shot before the end credits really captured what Sonic is all about, and even though it was a simple story, it still felt like a grand ending, and a fitting ending to the system. For all of the struggles that both the Wii and the Sonic series had gone through, both of them managed to completely redeem themselves for that one last game for the system. This is a big reason why I hope there's never an HD port of Sonic Colours. It would lose a lot of its significance if it didn't stay exclusive to the Wii.

How about you? Can you think of any games that feel like a grand finale for a game system? I'd love to hear what they are. : )

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Then in 2010, I'd consider Sonic Colours to be the final farewell to the Wii. Even though Kirby, Zelda, Xenoblade, and Rythm Heaven were going to come later, Sonic Colours to me felt like the final tribute to the Wii, even though it wasn't a Nintendo game. The final shot before the end credits really captured what Sonic is all about, and even though it was a simple story, it still felt like a grand ending, and a fitting ending to the system. For all of the struggles that both the Wii and the Sonic series had gone through, both of them managed to completely redeem themselves for that one last game for the system. This is a big reason why I hope there's never an HD port of Sonic Colours. It would lose a lot of its significance if it didn't stay exclusive to the Wii.

Absolutely nothing in this paragraph makes any sense. It's 2012 and great Wii games are STILL coming out. Some game from 2010 is not the "final farewell" to the Wii by any stretch of the imagination. And what struggles has the Wii gone through? Being the best selling home console this generation hardly qualifies as a struggle. GameCube had struggles, Wii had ka-chings.

Anyway, my grand finale for a game system is Resistance: Fall of Man for PS3. Never mind that it was a launch title and that PS3 has enjoyed years of life and great games since Resistance came out. It's still the final goodbye to a system at the end of its life cycle because logic is irrelevant.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

The final farewell to the system it was on... interesting idea, without thinking specifically about it I reckon it was somewhere in the back of my mind over the years!

Looking back though, here are the games that I played that I felt was the end of the console...

Sega Master System: Alex Kidd in Shinobi World

Sega Megadrive: Sonic and Knuckles

Playstation: Final Fantasy IX

PS2: Shadow of the Colossus

PS3: The Last of Us

Yes I popped on something for the PS3!

• 4 weeks later...
Anyway, my grand finale for a game system is Resistance: Fall of Man for PS3. Never mind that it was a launch title and that PS3 has enjoyed years of life and great games since Resistance came out. It's still the final goodbye to a system at the end of its life cycle because logic is irrelevant.

What are you talking about? Because the OP's one paragraph didn't make sense it makes the entire post irrelevant? Which is in turn why your answer doesn't have any logic behind it? "Resistance is a farewell to the PS3", thats completely stupid.

Your supposed to be a moderator; moderators contribute beneficial posts to the site not there enraged opinions about some silly mixed up facts that are ultimately irrelevant to the entire scope of the post.

What are you talking about? Because the OP's one paragraph didn't make sense it makes the entire post irrelevant? Which is in turn why your answer doesn't have any logic behind it? "Resistance is a farewell to the PS3", thats completely stupid.

Your supposed to be a moderator; moderators contribute beneficial posts to the site not there enraged opinions about some silly mixed up facts that are ultimately irrelevant to the entire scope of the post.

He's not a moderator.

For me i would consider these games final farewells

nes:kirbys adventure

snes:star ocean

psone:final fantasy 9

gamecube:baten kaitos origins

ps2: shin megami tensei devil summoner 2

dreamcast:skies of arcadia

psp(in the US):Legend of heroes trails in the sky 3rd chapter(hopefully xseed doesn't stop at 2nd chapter)

Edited by jgm4789

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Skies of Arcadia for Dreamcast, an awesome game that was released near the end of that console life. Such a good goodbye.

Final Fantasy XII for PS2, i don't remember if it was released near the end or not, but it was one of the last ps2 games i played.

Final Fantasy IX for PSX, the last great rpg of this console.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons for Gameboy color.

Pokemon Emerald for GBA.

Pokemon Black/White for DS.

The Third Birthday (Parasite Eve 3) for PSP.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for GC.

• 3 weeks later...

Well generally I like the more obscure consoles so I got a lot to say about console ''swan songs''.

For the original playstation Final Fantasy IX is unquestionably the swan song of the playstation. There may have been other rpg's released in the 2000 but Final Fantasy IX marked the end of an amazing run by squaresoft and quite possibly the best third party relationship with one console. Unrequited Love from Final Fantasy IX is a song to me that is quite symbolic of the end.

For the Sega Saturn it's between Magic Knight Rayearth and Panzer Dragoon Saga. Both insanely underated rpg's on a console that showed tons of promise and just wasn't appreciated as much as it should

The Dreamcast swan song is without a doubt Skies of Arcadia. It showed to me that Sega knew their time making consoles was near the end and Skies of Arcadia was a company on their last legs trying to make an outstanding game one last time.

The Gamecube's swan song was Twilight Princess. I've had the most fun on the Gamecube and I failed to realize as a kid that Twilight Princess was quite frankly the end of gaming as we once knew it.

Majora's mask was the swan song for the N64 for me. The storyline of the world ending and the overall vibe of the end had swan song written all over it for me. Harvest Moon 64 is another game I'd put in with the vibe of swan song for the N64

• 1 month later...