This is how tough a NES cartridge is...

mjfan97

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCLOxK6FpfA]How Tough are NES Games? - YouTube[/ame] After watching this video I'm amazed at how tough and resilient NES cartridges are compared to discs which can easily break. Which raises me to a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to use cartridges for a modern day game with it's high-end technology?

2. Do you prefer Cartridges or Discs?

3. With technology rapidly advancing, discs won't be able to hold the amount of processing power required so what kind of substitute are they going to use instead of discs or cartridges?.

I'm no tech expert but if somebody can shine some light on this that would be great.

I like cartridges better. I've never experience loading in a cartridge game, and they save right on the cartridge, so you don't need any other external memory. I would rather use cartridges for handheld consoles, though. Big games mean big cartridges and I don't really like that idea, but for handheld consoles like the upcoming PS Vita, it would be nice to have cartridges. Sadly, that's not going to happen. I love how Nintendo stuck with cartridges for all their handheld consoles.

Another great idea would be to have a single game cartridge and download games onto it from your PC/Mac. Each cartridge would come with it's own micro SD card, or something along those lines, and there should be an online store that you can access from your PC/Mac. I guarantee that this method would increase piracy rates, though.

Cartridges are great for nostalgia, the chunky feeling when you hold it and have to shove it in the slot. Ok that sounds slightly disturbing but I definitely miss playing my N64 games on the actual cartridge/console instead of on an emulator.

Shame cartridges are blatantly inferior in terms of data storage though.

• 2 weeks later...

Cartridge based games can be better because of potential decreases in load times and the ability to save on the cartridge, but as technology as advanced, the disc format has proved to be the better media format.

With the move of the Vita back to a memory card (cartridge) format, we may see a pendulous swing back in that direction, though with the cost of producing the disc games being so much less than that of cartridge formats, I wouldn't hold my breath for the consoles to dump discs any time soon.

Afromious

• 3 months later...

Cartridges/cards are the blatantly superior option. No load times, can't get scratched, and higher storage capacity (This SD card laughs at blu-ray's paltry 50GB max capacity).

There's only one category where discs win, and that's cost. It's far cheaper to print games onto discs than it is to put them onto special flash memory cards, which is why you only see that on portables where discs are a pretty bad idea (hi PSP).

• 1 month later...
After watching this video I'm amazed at how tough and resilient NES cartridges are compared to discs which can easily break. Which raises me to a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to use cartridges for a modern day game with it's high-end technology?

2. Do you prefer Cartridges or Discs?

3. With technology rapidly advancing, discs won't be able to hold the amount of processing power required so what kind of substitute are they going to use instead of discs or cartridges?.

I'm no tech expert but if somebody can shine some light on this that would be great.

Haha, that was a great video to watch.

1) I wouldn't think so. If this was the case, Nintendo would have stuck with cartridges. CD's are cheaper, and that means more money all around for the manufacturers and the gaming companies.

2) My first console was an N64, so I think that answers this question.

3) The substitute is quite obvious and has already been around for a little bit. Everything is being downloaded and stored via cloud, so give it some time and everything will soon be like that. Physical media will no longer exist (if it does, only very little will). I look at the movie rental business, and Netflix is killing everyone out there mainly due to their streaming. This also helps stop piracy (a little). So I think when the next generation or the one following after that will all be downloaded games through your console and installed on it.

The memory will either be on your HDD or if they choose to get rid of this in later generations, then everything will be stored via cloud. And if none of this works out, then I still see discs being around. Something will come up that will compete with Blu-ray discs, and other consoles not branded with Sony will have those discs. Blu-ray discs hold a maximum of 50 GB's currently, so who's to say a new disc invented in the near future couldn't hold more. But giving more memory to one object is, in my opinion, dangerous. This is why I stay away from 1.5/2 TB hard drives.

~ Rafdog89

1. It's possible, maybe not cartridges but things like USB pen drives which can hold up to 64GB these days, more than Blu-Ray. Although convenient it's still very expensive.

2. I would prefer small cartridges, but not big bulky NES ones. Blu-Ray discs are alright because they're unscratchable and pretty resilient unlike DVD discs which can damage very easily.

3. As I said, things like USB devices. But it's still too expensive. We could use cloud purchases (which I don't want) or Dual-Layer Blu-Ray discs which are like 50-60GB which is plenty of space. Hey, we still manage to pack most of the latest games into 8GB Xbox 360 discs. Sadly some need two discs. Hell, FFXIII needs four. But Blu-Ray has just the right about of space that you only need one disc, absolute max two discs.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have the same atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, and PS1 I had when I was little and they work to this day, and i've had 5 xbox 360's due to red ring.. why can't new systems be as sturdy and long lasting as the originals?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Gameboy games weren't as durable, I slid one down my banister for no other reason than I was 5 and it broke clean in half :( the worst part was it was my friends game lol I had to tell him I lost it :whistle:

(I also killed his Furby with deodorant, i really didn't mean it... poor guy)

• 1 year later...

Op, that was an interesting video. I've had an NES game "disappear" some time ago only to find it a week later in a puddle of rain water (A Boy and his Blob). To this day it still works. As for your second question, it doesn't really matter to me as long as I'm playing something.