how old would say a games console is, before its retro?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, a console becomes "retro" once it is two generations behind the current generation. Therefore currently, the Nintendo 64 and PSX are retro in my eyes. The exception for this is if games are still being made for that generation. So if the PS2 is still in production by the release of of PS4, it won't be "retro" in my eyes until it is discontinued as a console.

So basically, a console has to be a) two generations before current and b) discontinued.

damn.... im getting old LAWL - id say PS1 is retro, but not forgotten - it revolutionized the console for the current gen of adult gamers.

but ya, 10-15 years is defiantly too old to be a modern console - but shit, rockband 3 has a PS2 version, so ps2 is still kickin ^_^

I'd consider PS1/N64 old but not quite retro. I suppose it's because the PS1 was quite revolutionary in graphics and capabilities but I look at 8/16-bit gaming and think "Damn that's retro" whereas I look at PS1 and think "damn that's old school". A human on a PS1 looks kinda like a human, whereas one a SNES is some archaic blob LOL.

But I think it's logical that 2-3 generations and you can call it 'retro'.

You contradict yourself: The PSX is only one generation old as it's a PS2 with a DVR released only in Japan, and PS2 is not two generations old yet.

i though PSX was the American nickname for ps1 slim from 2000. but i agree with ya that ps2 is not retro, even dreamcast is not retro yet, i don't think.

When I think retro I think of the games from my youth, which was quite a while ago, so I personally think of systems such as the Atari 2600 and later on the Nintendo 2600. Going into my teens and early 20s there were the Sega Genesis and Saturn and Dreamcast. After that I was out of college and for me that tends to draw the line of distinction, though it also seems to be the point where the current systems in production today first began their runs with their big consoles (Playstation 2 was 2000 and XBox 2001 and Gamecube 2001). I think, too that there is a marked difference between the systems then and now in graphics, playability and overall focus of the games which tends to make a more distinct line in the sand for me. But, according to a definition I found elsewhere:

Found an interesting Wiki page when I got curious as I was typing this...Retrogaming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree, 2 generations behind can be considered retro.

Dreamcast died quickly in the US and Europe market, but it stays until a bit later in the Japan and some Asian coutries. So I don't consider Dreamcast retro yet, and it is still formally considered a 6th generations console anyway.

So retro is 5th generations and before.

"When the stores doesn't sell them anymore"...Its sad thinking back from my time when ps2, gamecube, and xbox were still selling. I thought my Nes and Super Nintendo was retro.. and ps1 games were leaving shelves also made me sad but didn't stop me from still playing them....then times move too quickly and new systems released way too fast for me to catch up, when I had a nintendo I thought Atari was retro. Now its hard for me to bear that the ps2 might be consider retro just by having a ps3.