One thing that annoys me

jordan79

I wouldn't say I'm annoyed as you say, I'm more interested in how the developers are going to explain both plot holes.

Fact is, we don't know exactly how many marines were sent and when. Is the marine the player is playing as part of the FIRST mission...or the 22nd? Also the colony...was the blast supposed to just vaporize everything? LOL, maybe they just don't build colonies like they used to. Meaning...this is the future...what if the metal they use to build these structures can survive a nuclear explosion? They didn't exactly look like wood cabins in the movie.

I'm just speculating, but maybe we should just wait and see when the game is released.

I wouldn't say I'm annoyed as you say, I'm more interested in how the developers are going to explain both plot holes.

Fact is, we don't know exactly how many marines were sent and when. Is the marine the player is playing as part of the FIRST mission...or the 22nd? Also the colony...was the blast supposed to just vaporize everything? LOL, maybe they just don't build colonies like they used to. Meaning...this is the future...what if the metal they use to build these structures can survive a nuclear explosion? They didn't exactly look like wood cabins in the movie.

I'm just speculating, but maybe we should just wait and see when the game is released.

Its made quite clear at the end of Aliens by Bishop what will happen to the entire place - and the blast size.

• 2 weeks later...

jordan79 has a point, I do hope this gets an explanation. From the trailer it looks like they've pretty much nailed it, I'm getting this for sure, been a fan of the alien universe [within reason] since I was 7 years old. My only worries about this game are, I noticed the aiming wasn't as smooth as shooters these days, even the player was struggling and the commentator was commenting on his aiming skills, but it didn't look like the player was the problem to me. I wasn't a fan of the blood color and textures, its looks a bit cartoony and the alien blood needs to be more yellow, rather than a dark green. It said it was work in progress so these may be changed, but one of my main worries was what the hell is with the "crusher", terrible alien, terrible name, I get the feeling there just adding mindless stuff in to try and leave their mark, fair enough, but has anyone noticed that this has been happening time and time again in films and games since Aliens was released and nothing has been worthy, most of the time its been down to ridiculous editions or alterations mocking the first three movies. Nothing needs to be changed, removed or added, they should just use the first three films as a bible. They have been given the rights to make this and now they have them, their just milking it.

Any one else worried about these things or am I being over protective?

• 10 months later...

In the movie Bishop tells Ripley the explosion will be about the size of Nebraska. Earlier he tells Hudson that it'll be a 40 megaton blast. 2,000 times as powerful as Hiroshima and almost as powerful as the Tsar Bomb, which could be seen from 500 miles.

• 5 weeks later...
but one of my main worries was what the hell is with the "crusher", terrible alien, terrible name, I get the feeling there just adding mindless stuff in to try and leave their mark, fair enough, but has anyone noticed that this has been happening time and time again in films and games since Aliens was released and nothing has been worthy, most of the time its been down to ridiculous editions or alterations mocking the first three movies. Nothing needs to be changed, removed or added, they should just use the first three films as a bible. They have been given the rights to make this and now they have them, their just milking it.

Any one else worried about these things or am I being over protective?

If you think about the Alien films, we do not actually know a great deal about what the xenomorphs are, or how the "hive" functions when left to its own devices. The recent film, Prometheus, makes some vague allusions.

I believe the developers are assuming that the xenomorphs require, or are capable of creating, different casts to occupy different roles within the hive. As none of the films show a fully developed alien colony, if there is such a thing, we can only speculate as to what that would look like. Colonial Marines, I suspect, is the vision that Gearbox has chosen to pursue.

Whether or not you accept their vision depends on how you view the xenomorphs themselves. I believe, based on Prometheus, that the xenomorphs were manufactured to be a biological weapon, of sorts. Were they designed to spawn multiple casts to fulfill different roles within the hive? Perhaps, but unlikely.

If the foregoing is any indication, unending speculation and criticism has resulted from the additions Colonial Marines weave into the canon.

I, for one, intend to approach the title with an open mind. Being a big fan myself, I know that my own expectations can be insurmountable.

Let's wait and see!

the thing is they've stated that the game will take place between aliens and alien 3. but also we don't exactly know how big the colony was. and the exlosion was underground basicially, which mean most of the explosion was contained. so it is possibe if most of the explosion was contained then there would be remains of buildings and we don't know if there was any local life before it was disovered besides the xenos.

the thing is they've stated that the game will take place between aliens and alien 3. but also we don't exactly know how big the colony was. and the exlosion was underground basicially, which mean most of the explosion was contained. so it is possibe if most of the explosion was contained then there would be remains of buildings and we don't know if there was any local life before it was disovered besides the xenos.

Yeah, so contained that the getaway ship felt the blast when almost to the atmosphere of the planet..

I agree with Jordan. According to the end of Aliens, there should not even be a memory of Hadley's Hope, The "Found" Alien ship, or anything else.

However, I can put all that aside, because it would be killer to actually walk around the colony and all of it's locations, as opposed to walking around in a big ass crater where everything used to be lol:dance:

Either way, I am curious to see how GB is going to handle the plot connecting.

If I remember the film correctly, the stranded marines had destroyed the site well before an assumed rescue of 17 days...

SO if these marines in the game are that rescue team, the whole place should be gone...

unless they showed up WHILE the film was going on before the end..

WHo knows.