Alien Zombie Megadeath - Road Map and Trophy Guide

ROAD MAP

Overview:

-Estimated trophy difficulty: 9/10 (personal opinion)

-Offline: 11 (1(G), 5(S), 5(B))

-Online: 0

-Approximate amount of time to core game 100%: 40-50 hours – current estimate

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: N/A, no story mode

-Missable trophies: None

-Glitched trophies: None

-Cheats: No cheats

Like this guide? Then join the forums!

Introduction:

Alien Zombie Megadeath is the latest game from developer PomPom Games (Astro Tripper), and is the successor, or perhaps evolution, of the Alien Zombie Death PSP Mini they released in 2010. It's a very simple 2D arcade shooter that's easy to learn, yet challenging and time-consuming if you are trying for 100% trophies. If you like old school arcade gameplay, then this is the game for you.

Step 1: Complete All Adventure Levels

The first thing you'll want to do is complete all 40 adventure levels in the game. Not just unlock, but also complete. These are the blue ones that make the main spiral of the map. You need a total of 100 medals to unlock all adventure levels. On the way you will surely unlock some spacesuits and challenge levels (red ones). Make sure you get the UFO trophy (unlock the UFO upgrade) once you get to level 13 so you can start working on UFO-related medals. This will make unlocking and completing all adventure levels a bit easier.

Step 2: Unlock All Levels

This is done somewhat in tandem with Step 1. There are 71 levels total. You need 180 medals to unlock them all. While doing this, you will more than likely unlock the 30 Million Total Score trophy as well as Wardrobe Complete for unlocking all 9 spacesuits.

Step 3: Get All Medals

If you thought just unlocking all levels was hard, wait until you try to get all of the medals. There are 284 total in the game. All the Medals is a very grueling trophy and may take upwards of 10-20 hours to complete once you have managed to unlock all levels. See that trophy for tips / strategies for all levels and modes.

Edited by Vyrastas

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TROPHY GUIDE

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1108/01.jpg Basic Training (B)

Complete the introduction training level.

You will get this after playing the very first level, which merely consists of putting on your spacesuit, grabbing your gun and grabbing a battery to power up your ship.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1108/05.jpg UFO (B)

Unlock the UFO upgrade.

Pretty easy. Level 13 is the first level to feature UFOs. They will fly down the left or right side of the screen. They always appear on the side opposite where you are, so you'll have to run over to the other side of the map in order to destroy them. Keep an eye on the enemy indicators on the side of the screen so you can see when they appear.

To unlock the UFO upgrade, destroy 12 UFOs in Level 13. This will give you a medal that unlocks UFOs in all other levels, as well as the UFO spacesuit.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1108/02.jpg My First Spacesuit (B)

Unlock one of the extra Spacesuits.

See Wardrobe Complete for more info.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1108/08.jpg Wardrobe Complete (S)

Unlock all of the extra Spacesuits.

There are 9 spacesuits that you can unlock. You unlock them by acquiring certain medals in specific levels. Below is a list of all the unlockable spacesuits in the game, what level they are unlocked on and what you have to do to unlock them.

• Green Camouflage: Level 5 – Fire Fight; Complete the Level
  • Fiend: Level 9-alpha – Survival; Kill 250 Fiends
  • Red: Level 9-alpha – Survival; Kill 15 Buffaloes
  • Baby: Level 10-alpha – Survival Space Baby; Rescue 5 Space Babies
  • UFO: Level 13 – UFO; Shoot 12 UFOs (this is also the UFO unlock, for the UFO trophy)
  • Blue Camouflage: Level 15 – Boss Attack; Complete the Level
  • Demon: Level 15-alpha – Survival Boss Attack; Kill 3 Demons
  • Lumper: Level 19-alpha – Survival; Kill 200 Lumpers
  • Black: Level 30 – Decoy; Complete the Level

Most are pretty easy to unlock. The hardest by far is the Lumper suit. You will need to get good at Survival to unlock it. For tips on Survival mode and general gameplay, please see the All the Medals trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1108/04.jpg 3 Million Total Score (B)

Get a combined total score of 3 million on all levels.

See 30 Million Total Score for more info.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1108/09.jpg 30 Million Total Score (S)

Get a combined total score of 30 million on all levels.

Every time you set a high score after completing a level, that score will be added to a running total score across all levels that is displayed on the level select screen. Merely hit the required point amounts to earn these trophies (3M and 30M).

3 million is not very hard. You'll most likely have it by the time you unlock your 30th level. Survival levels bring the most points if you can last long enough.

30 million will take a little longer, but you should get it when you have around 110-130 medals. A good way to get a lot of points is to go back to the earlier Survival stages – you can get 2-5 million on them with a little practice. If you've unlocked 100 medals you should be good enough to get 30 million across all your unlocked levels.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1108/07.jpg 2 Million Individual Score (S)

Score 2 million on any single level.

If you're going for all medals, you'll get this eventually, as many medals require you to score over 2 million in a level. If you're impatient, a good level to get this on is Level 4-alpha. This is one of the easier Survival levels to score 2 million points on.

Make sure you've unlocked the UFO upgrade before trying to get a score this high. You can maximize points by shooting UFOs and collecting crystals to increase your point multiplier. That, and lasting for a long time. See All the Medals for tips on maximizing points.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1108/03.jpg Galaxy Explorer (B)

Unlock 20 levels.

Self-explanatory, merely unlock any 20 levels, adventure or challenge (blue or red). The beginning levels are pretty easy and are only around 30-60 seconds long each. It shouldn't take you long to do this if you get a couple medals in each of the introductory levels, as the game doesn't get hard until you get past adventure level 20.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1108/10.jpg Cleansed (S)

Complete all the adventure levels. The blue ones!

There are 40 adventure levels, which as the trophy description says, are the blue ones. In order to even complete them, you must first unlock all 40 of them. You'll need to acquire 100 medals to unlock them all.

"Completing" a level consists of killing all zombies. In general, each has about 3 waves of zombies that get progressively harder and more numerous. The medal for completing a level is picture of a rocket against a blue background. You can check whether you've completed a level by just highlighting it on the level select screen – the completion medal will be grayed out if you haven't completed it yet.

The majority of adventure levels are easy to complete and will only take one or two tries. Others are a bit more difficult and will take a bit of skill. I thought the hardest levels by far were 25, 36 and 39. These are tough because there are environment obstacles on these maps that make navigating them a bit tough and there are a fair amount of zombies and bullets on the final wave for each.

See the All the Medals trophy for gameplay tips and strategies, as well as suggestions on what types of medals are easiest to get if you're short of the 100 you need to merely unlock all adventure levels.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1108/06.jpg Universe Explorer (S)

Unlock all the levels.

There are a total of 71 levels in the game. You need 180 medals to unlock them all. Unless you really pick things up quick, you'll start to hit a wall around the 100-120 medal mark and will need to go back to earlier levels and work on some of the previous medals you weren't good enough to get at the time.

Since medals will unlock even if you don't complete a level, certain types of medals are easier than others in the beginning levels, particularly the UFO ones. If you're hard up for a few extra medals and still have some UFO ones that are locked, try to knock them out, as they are generally the easiest type of medal to get. See the All the Medals trophy for gameplay tips and strategies.

Edited by Vyrastas

[/url]http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1108/11.jpg All the Medals (G)

Easy! Collect all the medals.

Easy this is not. There are 284 medals in the game, 4 for each of the 71 levels.

You'll need to really practice in order to get this trophy. There are a variety of tips and strategies that can be used depending on the type of level, mode and medal you are aiming for. Since there are so many levels which vary widely in difficulty, it's better to detail techniques and tips in general, and let you apply them as needed based on your skill and the level you are playing. Good luck!

General Gameplay

Here are some general tips and strategies that you should practice and keep in mind for all levels and modes.

Maximizing Points

Many levels have medals that require you to score a specific amount. For basic Fire Fight levels where there are a set amount of enemy waves, you basically need to have perfect runs in order to meet the medal requirements. Here is what you need to do to maximize points. No level is exactly the same so you may need to experiment and tweak these strategies depending on the level.

Edited by Vyrastas
Added trophy tile

All the Medals (cont'd)

Modes and Medals

Each mode, medal and combination of both requires a slightly different style of overall gameplay. Here are some general comments and tips regarding these, which you can mix and match with the tips in the previous two sections as needed.

• MODE: Fire Fight – Point medals in this mode are some of the hardest ones to get. As mentioned in the "Maximizing Points" section, you'll need virtually perfect runs on a Fire Fight level to hit the point threshold for the medal. Other medals for these levels are generally easy, except for a few select levels that are tough to complete (as mentioned in Cleansed).

• MODE: Boss – These are essentially the same thing as Fire Fight levels, just with a larger zombie to kill. Use the same strategies. Remember that bosses will generally retreat away from your fire so you can use that to herd them into a specific area, granted that you can dodge their bullets. Also, kill them as quickly as possible – when killed the minor bosses turn into a ball that floats around the map trying to kill you. You can't injure that ball, but it's easier to dodge that than the boss itself, shooting tons of bullets. On levels where there are two bosses visible at the same time, if you kill one, make sure you kill the second before the first respawn, otherwise the first may respawn into two separate bosses - then you'll have three to deal with at once. Which is not good.

• MODE: Survival – Point medals in this mode are generally easy to get, since the only limit is how long you can last. The only real tricky medals here are the Zombie Kill ones, as some require a kill amount that greatly exceeds the amount you'd have when hitting the Point medal. For those, just focus on killing zombies, don't worry about points. Another trick to have on hand is to not kill all enemies in a particular wave - leave one alive and wait for weapon drops to cycle through until you get one you want. Then kill the last enemy, grab the drop and wail on the next wave of enemies.

• MODE: Space Babies – In this mode, you don't need to personally ferry each baby to the collector on the other side. Take care of zombies by shooting them and keep an eye on those fiery boulders or barriers and depending on those, move the baby up or down a level to avoid them.

• MODE: Defuse Bombs – How you attack this mode will vary depending on the layout of the map. In almost every case you want to move the bomb as close to the disposal as quickly as possible. On the Survival type of this mode, you usually can do around 5-10 bombs without any issues. Beyond that you'll need to clear out zombies on the way to the next bomb, as well as drop the bomb every once in a while to quickly kill anyone nearby. You get tons of points for defusing, particularly when you don't get hit, so make this the priority!

• MODE: Decoy – The decoy in this mode doesn't last very long, and when you have tons of zombies on the screen, it's almost useless at times, because you have to dodge through all the zombies that are trying to get to the decoy. Treat these levels like normal Fire Fight and Survival levels.

• MODE: Jet Pack – This mode is not difficult to master, as the jet pack makes things much easier since you can move around so fast. I would suggest you use the analog stick to move on these levels, it's better suited for the jet pack. Use the same techniques as Fire Fight and Survival and don't get hit.

• MEDAL: Points – Follow all the tips in the "Maximizing Points" section. Survival levels are not difficult, but Fire Fight and Boss levels are very difficult.

• MEDAL: Crystals – Treat these the same way you would for UFOs. Just focus on getting the large crystals and don't worry about things like points or X number of zombie kills. Using Survival skills and the tips under "General Gameplay" should suffice here.

• MEDAL: UFOs – UFO medals are easy for the most part. If you are struggling to get medals, just go through each level and focus on UFOs only. In Fire Fight and Boss levels, where there are a set amount of zombies, don't kill them right away – wait and make sure you keep the level going long enough for all the UFOs to appear. A good strategy is to stand in the middle of the level but just to one side – you can force the next UFO to appear on the other side, since they almost always appear on the side opposite you.

• MEDAL: Kill X Zombies – About half of these are easy, half hard. What makes some hard is that, particularly in Survival levels, certain zombies that you're required to kill may not appear until 3-5 minutes into the level. You won't even get a chance to kill any of them until you're well into the map. On the Boss Survival levels, good luck. Having to kill a major boss 4-5 times in the same run is tough. A good way to kill a boss quick is to get a Slow Down or Laser drop. Time your attacks wisely, particularly on the Bat Mama bosses.

• MEDAL: Complete the Level – These only apply to the blue adventure levels, and you can just use the same strategy as Fire Fight or Boss. Just keep working on it. There are only a few levels that are tough to complete, as noted in Cleansed. If you can unlock all the adventure levels, you can complete them all.

Edited by Vyrastas

Ok, maybe I'm wrong, but look into this:

Killing a UFO increases the value of the next one BUT killing them in a row, without getting hit, increases the value even more! Check it out on any of the easier levels and see how the 3rd UFO killed in a row gives you more points than when getting hit before killing it...

Other than that, great guide! I estimate that for 100% we'll need 30-40 hours tops (with lots of luck) which means I might have to skip doing that until 2-3 weeks from now since I've got to review 5 games in the next 2 weeks.

Edited by EdEN

Hmmm, I don't think I ever noticed that with the UFOs. I'm out of town for the weekend, so I'll check it when I get back.

Yeah I think it's going to push 40 hours at least for all medals. Some of the Fire Fight / Boss ones where you need a specific score are very hard and I've spent 30-40 mins on each of them.

I've had some very productive moments in the last 3 hours and jumped all the way up to the 9th position on the leaderboards, got all the spacesuits and completed 9 red levels with all medals. Will do another 2 hour run tonight and see how it goes.

Didn't mention this before, but this is turning out to be a great trophy guide + roadmap for the game! Wish it was available when I started playing the game as it would have cut 3-5 hours from my total time hehehe.

@GbRXsenTriCz: It's still an estimate but yeah, I would also put it at a 9/10 with what "little" I'm missing for the last trophy. Could be 8/10 (not much of a difference really) on the home stretch since all the practice in the 20 hours leading to it really pays off.

Edited by EdEN

Yeah the difficulty is just my personal estimate right now. There's not a poll up yet, but eventually I can change it if enough people vote. It'll be an 8 or 9 like EdEN says.

So EdEN, did you get all the medals yet? I'll finally get back to working on the game today.

Nope. Had to switch games since I've got 5 games up for review. Missing all medals in the last 5 levels. Will get back to them maybe by the 2-3 week of July once my schedule has cleared up a bit. Sucks since I was having a blast with Alien Zombie hahaha.

Oh, btw, all PS+ subscribers (as in, you've got a paid subscription) will get Alien Zombie Death (the original minis version) for free today!

Did you check about the increasing UFO values when you kill them without being hit?

I'll check today. I was trying to just get enough medals to unlock the last level yesterday. I'm one short but that's because I'm working from the beginning and trying not to move on until I complete a level, and there were a few that took quite a bit to get.

I have another tip for anyone starting out, which I'll add into the guide later. New waves of enemies don't appear until the previous wave is wiped out. This is particularly true for Survival levels... you can kill all enemies but one and let weapon drops cycle through until you get the one you want. Like for the levels with rocks that you can only destroy with a laser... wait until the laser appears, kill the last enemy, then grab the laser and go to town on rocks and new enemies.

Also, the true key for getting the Defuse X Bombs medals is to do them as fast as possible. Only kill enemies where you need to. If you kill enemies too fast, harder waves will appear and you'll have trouble defusing the bombs.

I'll check today. I was trying to just get enough medals to unlock the last level yesterday. I'm one short but that's because I'm working from the beginning and trying not to move on until I complete a level, and there were a few that took quite a bit to get.

I have another tip for anyone starting out, which I'll add into the guide later. New waves of enemies don't appear until the previous wave is wiped out. This is particularly true for Survival levels... you can kill all enemies but one and let weapon drops cycle through until you get the one you want. Like for the levels with rocks that you can only destroy with a laser... wait until the laser appears, kill the last enemy, then grab the laser and go to town on rocks and new enemies.

Also, the true key for getting the Defuse X Bombs medals is to do them as fast as possible. Only kill enemies where you need to. If you kill enemies too fast, harder waves will appear and you'll have trouble defusing the bombs.

Yep, Defusing bombs is easier if you make the bombs your focus and kill the enemies that are on your way. You eventually get the points medal as well along the way since bombs go up in value quickly... but this stops working on the Red levels for bombs since you've got to juggle powerups, enemies, bombs, enemy fire, blocks or forcefields making you HAVE to go slower, etc.

I figured you'd have unlocked all levels by now but I understand how you can be stuck on a level for 10-40 minutes trying to get the rhythm just right to get all medals.

Okay I've unlocked all the levels, am at 200 medals now.

I have confirmed the points per UFO reset if you get hit in the middle of a streak. I also realized that points per bomb defused increase in a similar fashion to UFOs, and those also reset if you get hit. I'll add that to the guide as well.

Edit: I'm going to check, but I'd hazard a guess that it does something similar for Space Babies.

Edited by Vyrastas

Yep, I can confirm the reset for babies as well. Had to redo a red level 10 times to get all them damn babies in AND get to the score as well since it's one of those levels where one is definitely tied to the other.

I realized this about UFOs/Bombs on the regular levels since I couldn't reach the points medals until I hit 6 UFOs with a nice enough multiplayer and without being hit.

Yeah, after the 20th attempt within the hour on the same level you should definitely swith hehehe. I'm currently playing Puzzle Dimension (try it, it's great!) for a review and will write a trophy guide for it next week. I've done 12 reviews in a month and have 6 more set for the next two weeks along with another possible 4 games the week after so you can imagine how my gaming time has been divided hahaha.

I may have to check it out, I've heard it's a decent game.

I added a note about the Boss levels. I realized last night that on those levels with two Bosses at the same time, if you take too long killing the second one after killing the first, the first can respawn into two bosses, then you'll have three to deal with... killing both quickly in succession helps keep those levels managable.

I actually had an easier time getting all medals on one of the red levels with 3 bosses on screen than with 2. Guess I just found my groove and kept killing one after the other until I got my quota.

Only 20 levels left on Puzzle Dimension. As soon as I get one more trophy and only have one left I'll post and submit the guide.