Why play this?

CourtneyReneex3

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to play this game because I am a fan of things related to Alice in Wonderland, and gameplay looked really fun to me! I got the game as a gift, and I really enjoyed playing it! I would suggest trying it again, but it would be helpful to know why you did not like it and what about the concept you did not understand.

Also, did you start out with Madness Returns or American Mc Gee's Alice first?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I didn't play the first one however it comes with the game so that's not a big deal. I do think you should give it another go. It tells the slightly darker story of Alice than most people are used to. I say slightly because it's not that dark. There are some retellings that are just ridiculously dark to the point where they make absolutely no sense and have lost the core of what Alice in Wonderland is about.

Alice Madness Returns is well done. Is well balanced and the gameplay is just a blast. Give it another chance, try to look at it with fresh eyes, and fall into it. You might just like what it has to offer

I think that you should definitely give it an another try if you have not already.

This game might be a bit confusing when you play it for the first time and that's how it was for me. I didn't understand everything that was going on in the game but I was still quite fascinated with the game. I played it on PC first and the controls weren't that good. However the controls are really nice on PS3 and it makes the gameplay very smooth.

I'm a bit older and wiser now so I understand everything that's going on with the game a lot better now. And yes the concept is a bit dark and it's not suited for everyone. The art is really beautiful and I personally really enjoy this game. It's a beautiful game and yet so cruel at the same time.

I think it's best to give it a second chance and play it for some time. See if you like it but it's okay if you don't. This game isn't for everyone's taste but I think it's great.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Enjoyed the original? Like the concept? Fan of dark/macabre subject matter. Can't tell if you're an idiot or trying to be an asshole.

3 years ago dude, let it go...let it go. Lol

Seriously though I read the OP in a fairly aggressive tone as well.

• 4 years later...

I'm very intrigued by this game... looking at it on eBay and CEX it still sells above £20.00 so it must be really in-demand or good? I'm a little over the fence into having a go at it sometime in the future. I've downloaded the FREE DLC and added it to my library so I won't have to worry about losing out in case it gets delisted.  But yeah this game surely piqued my interest. 

On 8/17/2021 at 8:48 PM, Naps said:

I'm very intrigued by this game... looking at it on eBay and CEX it still sells above £20.00 so it must be really in-demand or good? I'm a little over the fence into having a go at it sometime in the future. I've downloaded the FREE DLC and added it to my library so I won't have to worry about losing out in case it gets delisted.  But yeah this game surely piqued my interest. 

I guess it didn't sell too well but later became sort of a cult classic. I don't remember anything particularly standing out gameplay-wise, it's enjoyable but not groundbreaking, but American McGee's reinterpretation of Alice's universe sure is interesting. I mean, if you're intrigued, you should try it out whenever you see it a reasonable price.

Careful about that DLC though, it's the first game (released on PC some 20+ years ago) and it didn't age well. 😅

Edited by kinjall

12 hours ago, kinjall said:

I guess it got sell too well but later became sort of a cult classic. I don't remember anything particularly standing out gameplay-wise, it's enjoyable but not groundbreaking, but American McGee's reinterpretation of Alice's universe sure is interesting. I mean, if you're intrigued, you should try it out whenever you see it a reasonable price.

Careful about that DLC though, it's the first game (released on PC some 20+ years ago) and it didn't age well. 😅

Both Alice games flopped hard when they came out so don't expect to see a remaster anytime soon :(.

Edited by Terminator
Update.

23 minutes ago, Martain2 said:

Three games? Did I miss one outside of American Mcgee's and Madness Returns.

Sorry - my bad, I could have sworn 3 was recently released on PC but it turns out I need my eyes testing, because it's only a script that exists :o. Also, It doesn't look good for a third game, because it took 3 years for the official mailing list to hit 50k sign-ups: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/american-mcgee-laments-lack-of-sign-ups-for-new-alice-game/1100-6494982/

Edited by Terminator
Update.
  • Thanks 1

@Martain2 I was wondering the same thing... 🤔

@Terminator Did we miss something? AFAIK, there's a third game currently in development (Alice: Asylum), American McGee has a patreon page where he shares news, but the fact that EA actually owns the franchise doesn't help (they are partly responsible for the sequel bombing as they knowingly mismarketed it as a hardcore horror game) and it's still unsure when it'll be released or even if it will ever be...

EDIT: :classic_ninja:'d

Edited by kinjall
  • Like 2