Genuine (potentially dumb) Question

Auron

So...I don't typically enjoy myself playing horror games. I've beaten the first Dead Space, and am currently playing Resident Evil Revelations HD, so I can play them (although your definition of "horror game" may vary in regards to those). I have to be in a very specific mood for them, though (thus, why I haven't beaten Dead Space 2 yet, despite owning it for like 3 years).

My question is: based on this information, do you think this game would still be enjoyable for me? And, as an extension of that, is this a HORROR game, or is it just disturbing? By disturbing, I mean the abundance of doll heads, some of the imagery, etc. Also, I've never played a DMC/God of War game that was considered a "horror game" (Dante's Inferno had some disturbing imagery, but nothing too terrible), so I know it's potentially an apples and oranges situation.

Sorry if this got a bit rambling, but I was trying to decide whether to buy it off of Amazon or not, and I was wondering how much the horror aspect fitted in.

Edited by Auron

I wouldn't really describe it as a horror game :think: there is a lot of creepy imagery and stuff but it's more gothic than horror.

There are different levels of horror though so I can understand how you might be unsure, the only thing I can suggest is looking at some gameplay videos on youtube to see if it's your kind of thing :) it's based on Alice in Wonderland so it's always gonna have some weird stuff in there, which won't be to everyone's tastes!

This game is a far cry from horror, I guess your could classify it as a Thriller if it was a movie, as a game it's a pure 3D action platformer.

If you've played Dead space and Dark souls you're not gonna find anything more desturbing in this game.

After looking into it, this game is actually rated M, which is understandable since it does have some desturbing imagery and adult themes like sex and murder. I definitely wouldn't let a child play or even an young teenager play this, but it's definitely not a scary game.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not consider the game to be a horror game at all. As Moosh stated, there is definitely a lot of creepy imagery in the game, but it is not really horror. I would say the game has far more disturbing elements than there are scary ones. The doll heads you are talking about are just in the dollhouse chapter of the game and do not show up throughout the whole game.

If you are debating on buying this game or not, I would recommend it! It is a great game, and a lot of fun! =)

• 1 month later...

As Moosh brilliantly described, this game isn't a horror game but has some creepy parts. I also wouldn't let a child or a young teenager play it because it shows some disturbing subjects.

If you played Dead Space you'll see Alice Madness Returns doesn't have any creepier part than Dead Space.