After Burner Climax Trophy Guide + Road Map

Labartu

Estimated difficulty: 1.67/10

Offline trophies: 12 ( 8(B) 3(S) 1(G))

Online trophies: 0

Estimated time to 100%: 1-2 hours

Minimum number of play-throughs needed: 4 (3 Arcade, 1 Score Attack)

Missable Trophies: 4 (“50 Combo”, “Emergency Order”, “Triple A”, “All Clear” )

Glitched Trophies: None.

Do cheats disable trophies?: There are no cheats as of now.But you'll unlock so called "EX-Options" in game which will not block any trophies.

Step 1: Arcade mode without EX options

Choose a jet of your choice and try to play through arcade mode. While you’re playing through it for the first time, focus on getting “Roll” and “Climax Mode” as the only thing you have to do is using basic abilities to unlock them. Once you’ve reached Chapter 3 concentrate on the “Emergency Order” trophy as it’s very easy to get here. You’ll encounter a so called “Prototype” during that chapter 3 and all you have to do is to shoot it down with your gun and rockets. if you can't destroy it don’t worry. There are a few more chances to unlock that one during a full playthrough of arcade mode. In case you can’t make it to the end of the game before using all your credits, don’t worry. Your first "game over" unlocks the EX-Option to increase your credits to 5 and you will have a few more EX-Options unlocked that will make the game very easy. Just click on “EX-Option” in the menu and press :cross: to activate / deactivate them.

Step 2: All Clear!

Depending on your first playthrough, you will have either 2 or 3 playthroughs left to do with EX options switched on. So just play through Arcade mode with the jets you still need to get the corresponding trophies. While you’re at it, you should switch on the speed EX-Option to unlock “Triple A” by completing the whole game in less than 9 minutes, which, with the EX-Option, is very easy. You will also be able to easily unlock “50 Combo” if you activate the Large Crosshair. The remaining trophy for arcade mode “All Clear” is a bit tricky to unlock, as you either have to complete 20 of the secondary objectives in the game (See “Emergency Order”) to force unlock level 14 with the EX-Options, or you have to complete all 4 Emergency calls during a playthrough of arcade mode. For further information take a look at the trophy guide.

Step 3: Ranked In

Ranked In” is actually very easy as the only thing you have to do is select Score Attack in the menu instead of arcade and beat the game one more time with a jet of your choice while you’re connected to the PSN. EX-Options will be disabled during Score Attack, but you will get unlimited lives, so it’s actually impossible to fail at Score Attack as long as you keep playing.

Edited by Labartu

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/384/01.jpgROLL (B)

Performed a roll in Arcade mode.

To perform a barrel roll all you have to do is hold the control stick either right or left and then quickly push it towards the other direction.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/384/02.jpgClimax Mode (B)

Activated Climax Mode in Arcade mode.

Another basic ability. Climax gauge increases when you're killing enemies or fly really fast. Just press :r1: once the blue bar in the left corner is full.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/384/03.jpg50 Combo (B)

Got a combo of 50 in Arcade mode.

This one is a bit tricky without the help of the in-game EX-options, but becomes very easy once you've unlocked the EX-options to activate the large cross-hair and the longer combo window. Once you've activated those two options, the trophy will most likely unlock without even trying. If you still can not unlock it, you will unlock an infinite combo window if you reach an accumulated combo meter of 3000. You can check your progress in the Ex-options.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/384/04.jpgStealth bomber (B)

Cleared Stage 5 in Arcade mode.

See "Across enemy lines."

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/384/05.jpgAcross enemy lines (B)

Cleared Stage 10 in Arcade mode.

There are 13 stages in Arcade mode plus 2 Bonus stages. All you have to do is to beat stage 10 and 5 in Arcade mode to unlock those trophies. A stat screen will appear after stage 5 and 10 telling you how you've done so far. During these screens, the trophies will pop.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/384/09.jpgEmergency Order (B)

Cleared an Emergency Order in Arcade mode.

Emergency Orders are secondary objectives you can do during certain stages of arcade mode. The first one is during stage 3. To complete the Emergency Order in stage 3 all you have to do is to shoot down an enemy aircraft called the "Prototype". You will easily spot it as it has a red sign spelling "Target" above it. There are more Emergency Orders in the following stages in case you miss this one. Whenever there's an Emergency Order available, you'll get a little symbol at the bottom of the screen that looks exactly the same as the trophy image.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/384/10.jpgRank In (B)

Uploaded a Score Attack score to rankings.

All you have to do is to finish the game in "Score Attack" (choose from the main menu). Score Attack is basically the same as Arcade mode, but EX-options are disabled. To make up for that, you'll be provided with infinite lives. So it's actually not possible to fail Score Attack unless you don't keep playing until all the stages are over.

You have to be connected to the PSN in order to have your score uploaded to the rankings and thus making the trophy pop.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/384/11.jpgTriple A (B)

Get a AAA ranking in Arcade mode (for Shot Down, Combo, or Play Time).

There are three objectives you have to fulfill in order to achieve a AAA ranking in Arcade mode, Shot Down, Combo and Play Time.

You only have to complete one of the goals in order for the trophy to unlock.

Here are the requirements:

Shot down: Shoot down more than 600 enemies during one playthrough of Arcade mode.

Combo: Achieve an average combo of 75.

Play Time: Finish Arcade mode in less than 9 minutes.

The easiest objective is the play time. All you have to do is to set the jet speed to "Fast" in the EX-Options once you've unlocked it and you will fly at full speed all the time. You will have no problems to finish the game in less than 9 minutes then.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/384/06.jpgSuper Tomcat (S)

Cleared Arcade mode with the F-14D.

When you start Arcade Mode you can select 3 different jets. Select the F-14D and beat at least stage 13 to unlock the trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/384/07.jpgSuper Hornet (S)

Cleared Arcade mode with the F/A-18E.

When you start Arcade Mode you can select 3 different jets. Select the F/A-18E and beat at least stage 13 to unlock the trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/384/08.jpgStrike Eagle(S)

Cleared Arcade mode with the F-15E.

When you start Arcade Mode you can select 3 different jets. Select the F-15E and beat at least stage 13 to unlock the trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/384/12.jpgAll Clear! (G)

Cleared Arcade mode with ending A.

There are two ways to unlock that one.

To reach ending A the normal way, there are a few requirements you have to fulfill. Remember the Emergency Call? You have to complete all 4 of them in one playthrough to advance to stage 14.

1. Emergency Call, stage 3 (Canyon Grandeur): As described in "Emergency Call", you'll have to destroy the Prototype.

2. Emergency Call, stage 6 (Golden Valley), only accessible if you've killed the Prototype: This time, you will have to destroy a stealth bomber. Stealth Bombers can not be locked on to to hit them with missiles, so you'll have to destroy him using your gun. Use Climax Mode to make it easier to aim at him while dodging cliffs and enemy attacks. As long as you keep up with him, you get the chance to destroy him during the beginning of stage 7 if you can't destroy it during stage 6.

To make things easier for yourself, keep choosing the right path from now on.

3. Emergency Call, stage 8 (Forgotten Glory): This time, your task is to destroy 10 Helicopters that are marked with the same "Target" sign as the Prototype. As long as you use :l2: to slow down and destroy the helicopters with your missiles, you'll be fine. There are more than 10 Target Helicopters, so if you miss one you can still accomplish the task.

4. Emergency Call, stage 13 (Nuclear Arsenal): This one may be a bit tricky, but if you hold down :l2: and press the climax button shortly before you enter the first tunnel you'll be able to lock on to the target, a nuke carrying jet. Fire as many missiles as possible as you have to destroy it before you enter the second tunnel. Once you enter the second tunnel you won't see the target again. But as long as you use the above described method, you should get it.

Once you're in stage 14 you'll have to shoot down rockets with the gun as your missiles do not work. Shoot them and you'll progress to stage 15, where you will have 30 seconds to destroy another rocket. If you can make it, you'll see the A ending and the trophy will unlock.

The second way is to force the entry into stage 14 using the EX-Options again. To unlock the Ex-Option that forces stage 14 you'll have to complete 20 Emergency Calls first, though. They're accumulative so you can do them on multiple playthroughs. Once you reach Stage 14 in Arcade mode with the EX-Option on, it's the same as if you've reached it the normal way, shoot the rockets, see the A ending and the trophy will unlock.

Edited by Labartu
Spelling

Thanks for the guide. :)

Sounds like this should be a fast one to get through. Good thing that it is a blast to play, so unlocking stuff in EX-Option won't seem like a chore.

Nah, it really doesn't. You'll unlock most of the interesting options before you even noticed you've done anything special.

And: Thanks, everyone. :)

Very nice guide! Very easy 100% for this one... and, unlike Linger In Shadows, this one is FUN to get, though beating the game 7 or 8 times back-to-back can be a bit of a grind for most people.

You may also want to mention that should someone struggle with getting the "A Ending" trophy after a few playthroughs, that with further EX upgrades, you can get everything from No Damage (except crashing into mountains), infinite spawning missiles and auto targeting... so the missions become obscenely easy with each passing playthrough, so as long as you keep playing the Arcade missions, you WILL get this trophy, as its almost unavoidable. "A Ending" also unlocks Auto Missles: basically, you can put the controller on the floor and let the game play for you - with the exception of mountain manuevering, lol.

I actually had a little trouble with trying to destroy the 3 missles in Stage 14 at first... and since its the last stage, I had to go through Arcade mode again just to get another crack at it. What I eventually did was as soon as the stage began, hold R2 (Accelerate) to catch up to the missles and then quickly hold L2 (Brake) then hit your Climax (L1) if you are having trouble with the aiming of the guns like me at first.

Your guide states there are 4 missable trophies. Are you sure they're missable? That is, they are only missable if it means it's impossible to get the trophies if you fail to get it the first time. Are you saying that if I fail to get one of those 4 trophies, I can never try for it ever again?

Those aren't the only qualifications for a missable trophy. That may be the only thing you're concerned with, which is fine, but for most people, they want a heads up on trophies that they would have to restart the game to get again. That's the case here.

The guide says there are no cheats then says there's ex options. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these ex options cheats?

No Armor damage is like god mode, auto aim and auto missle fire is pretty much the game playing for you, enemies don't fire, unlimited special powers, Infinite continues...These all sound like cheats if you ask me.

I don't know why the guide is rating the game difficulty a 2/10. it should be 1/10. With all the cheats you can use there is absolutely zero skill required to 100% this.

I am not exaggerating, you can really turn on the cheats, start the game, and set the controller down the game play to the end all on it's own.

I'm just nickpicking but wanted to put in my 2 cent.

Those aren't the only qualifications for a missable trophy. That may be the only thing you're concerned with, which is fine, but for most people, they want a heads up on trophies that they would have to restart the game to get again. That's the case here.

But if you had to restart a game again to get the trophies (in the case of this game, it wouldn't take a long time), then that means every single game has missable trophies. The criteria seem too broad here. I can understand it being "missable" if restarting a game meant 10+ hours, e.g. as in Bioshock, Dead Space, etc.

The guide says there are no cheats then says there's ex options. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these ex options cheats?

No Armor damage is like god mode, auto aim and auto missle fire is pretty much the game playing for you, enemies don't fire, unlimited special powers, Infinite continues...These all sound like cheats if you ask me.

I don't know why the guide is rating the game difficulty a 2/10. it should be 1/10. With all the cheats you can use there is absolutely zero skill required to 100% this.

I am not exaggerating, you can really turn on the cheats, start the game, and set the controller down the game play to the end all on it's own.

I consider the EX-Options as in-game options, yes, they are sort of cheats, but there's no codes you can enter and get something for, you have to fulfill certain tasks to unlock the EX-Options.

I know that the game plays itself after you've unlocked certain options, but it doesn't from the very beginning. The 2/10 was my personal estimate. I had it 1/10 in the beginning, but I just couldn't leave it there as I think it requires more skill than Linger in Shadows or .detuned. Anyway, my estimate will be replaced by the average of the polls at some point in the future.

Thanks for your opinion, though.

I agree with Labartu. Those EX Options are absolutely no cheat at all, you have to unlock them, they are part of the game. Absolutely no cheating there...even if it's a little bit too much help for the players, that's true (if players don't like those options, they can play on arcade mode to have fun)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very good guide. There is one error as far as I can tell. I am going through the game now and the 4th emergency call is nowhere to be seen on level 13. There is one on level 11 just as you go through the 1st tunnel like your guide suggests. You might want to update it. Otherwise 10/10

• 4 weeks later...

This is a good guide and the game is an easy 100%, though I would like to make a few corrections. :)

First of all, the trophy is called Emergency Order and not Emergency Call. This was in your first post:

Step 1: Arcade mode without EX options

Choose a jet of your choice and try to play through arcade mode. While you’re playing through it for the first time, focus on getting “Roll” and “Climax Mode” as the only thing you have to do is using basic abilities to unlock them. Once you’ve reached Chapter 3 concentrate on the “Emergency Call” trophy as it’s very easy to get here. You’ll encounter a so called “Prototype” during that chapter 3 and all you have to do is to shoot it down with your gun and rockets. if you can't destroy it don’t worry. There are a few more chances to unlock that one during a full playthrough of arcade mode. In case you can’t make it to the end of the game before using all your credits, don’t worry. Your first "game over" unlocks the EX-Option to increase your credits to 5 and you will have a few more EX-Options unlocked that will make the game very easy. Just click on “EX-Option” in the menu and press :cross: to activate / deactivate them.

Second of all, you wrote 'a the'. This was in your second post.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/384/12.jpgAll Clear! (G)

Cleared Arcade mode with ending A.

There are two ways to unlock that one.

To reach ending A the normal way, there are a few requirements you have to fulfill. Remember the Emergency Call? You have to complete all 4 of them in one playthrough to advance to stage 14.

1. Emergency Call, stage 3 (Canyon Grandeur): As described in "Emergency Call", you'll have to destroy the Prototype.

2. Emergency Call, stage 6 (Golden Valley), only accessible if you've killed the Prototype: This time, you will have to destroy a stealth bomber. Stealth Bombers can not be locked on to to hit them with missiles, so you'll have to destroy him using your gun. Use Climax Mode to make it easier to aim at him while dodging cliffs and enemy attacks. As long as you keep up with him, you get the chance to destroy him during the beginning of stage 7 if you can't destroy it during stage 6.

To make things easier for yourself, keep choosing the right path from now on.

3. Emergency Call, stage 8 (Forgotten Glory): This time, your task is to destroy 10 Helicopters that are marked with the same "Target" sign as the Prototype. As long as you use :l2: to slow down and destroy the helicopters with your missiles, you'll be fine. There are more than 10 Target Helicopters, so if you miss one you can still accomplish the task.

4. Emergency Call, stage 13 (Nuclear Arsenal): This one may be a bit tricky, but if you hold down :l2: and press the climax button shortly before you enter the first tunnel you'll be able to lock on to a the target, a nuke carrying jet. Fire as many missiles as possible as you have to destroy it before you enter the second tunnel. Once you enter the second tunnel you won't see the target again. But as long as you use the above described method, you should get it.

Once you're in stage 14 you'll have to shoot down rockets with the gun as your missiles do not work. Shoot them and you'll progress to stage 15, where you will have 30 seconds to destroy another rocket. If you can make it, you'll see the A ending and the trophy will unlock.

The second way is to force the entry into stage 14 using the EX-Options again. To unlock the Ex-Option that forces stage 14 you'll have to complete 20 Emergency Calls first, though. They're accumulative so you can do them on multiple playthroughs. Once you reach Stage 14 in Arcade mode with the EX-Option on, it's the same as if you've reached it the normal way, shoot the rockets, see the A ending and the trophy will unlock.

This is a good guide and the game is an easy 100%, though I would like to make a few corrections. :)

First of all, the trophy is called Emergency Order and not Emergency Call. This was in your first post:

Second of all, you wrote 'a the'. This was in your second post.

Thanks, corrections have been made. I don't know why I didn't see that myself. :)

there's no need to be a dick about it :p

How is making corrections to a guide being a dick? I'm glad he noticed it and told me instead of just leaving errors in the guide.