Taking sunset and night shots?

TheZooTycooner14

Hello,

After searching every thread here as well as all around the internet, i've been unable to find any information on this, so i'm really hoping someone here can help me out.

Basically, I can't figure out which camera settings to use to take night and sunset shots featuring moving animals, because the pictures always come out extremely blurred. At the moment, I can only take pictures of animals at these times when they're standing completely still if I want a clear photo, which is obviously quite limiting.

I have figured out how to take night shots without the blurriness, but when I do the picture becomes so dark it's almost unrecognizeable.

Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong, and what I need to do to fix this? Any help would be very appreciated! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi, I don't know if you're still playing this game, but I'm replying anyway. It might help other people in the future.

Basically, when it comes to photography, there are 2 very important aspects: shutter speed and aperture. Shutter speed is the amount of time the camera's shutter is opened, and aperture is the size of the opening. Naturally, the larger the opening, and the longer the time, the more light will be able to enter your camera.

When you want to take pictures of moving animals, it is advised to have a very short shutter speed, as it will seem to 'freeze' the motion. So something like 1/250 would be good for example.

But, since you shorten the time, you need to make sure the opening is set to wider, because otherwise you'll not have enough light, making the pictures darker. That's where the aperture comes in. If it's set to 11 for example, then that's a fairly small opening. During the daytime, it would be ok, but if it's dark or dusk, then you'd be better off to set it to 4.5 or even lower if you can (if the camera/lens allows it) thus enabling more light to enter the camera.

So it's really a matter of playing around with the settings:

Shutter speed: measures the time, eg. 1/125, 1/250, 1/500 seconds

Aperture: measures the opening, ex. 2.8, 4.5, 11, 16

I hope this makes sense... it's not easy to explain in a few words but I hope it helped anyway.