Assault Horizons/TM T-Flight Hotas X joystick mapping issue

Hi, I'm having an issue mapping the PS3 controller's (L3)/"Flare" button on a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X joystick.

I want to map the L3/"Flare" on the joystick's Throttle side "Square" button, but I'm having difficulties determining if I have programmed it right. The documentation provided is scant, but I managed to correctly program the rest of the buttons with the following .pdf ftp://ftp.thrustmaster.com/accessories/pc/joysticks/presets/THOTASX/HOTASX_AceCombatPS3_Mapping.pdf

If anyone has got the flares to work with joystick, I would very much like to hear how you did it. Thanks

• 1 year later...

So anyone can clear this out? Has the OP got the mapping problem solved?

Main Question: Will a flight-sim joystick give you an advantage when playing the game vs the DS3? Something comparable to using a racing wheel when playing racing sims - advantage in getting better lap times... joystick = better dogfight attack/evade?

I'm thinking on getting the same Hotas X, so will it be worth it? Or just go full on with the DS3? Any sensible answer would be appreciated. Also note that I haven't used a joystick in decades! :D