Review this Game!

What would you rate this game?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rate this game?

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8671/gamereviewthreadheader.png

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/9242/averagereviewscore6.png

Average Game Rating = 6.0

How To Review

1. Please dont post a review without having played the game first!

2. Please don’t post a review unless you have played alot of hours or have completed the game.

3. Please DON'T write any spoilers. If in doubt contact me.

4. Only write about the multiplayer aspect in the ‘Multiplayer Experience’ heading.

5. Please put a description in each section & then rate it out of 10.

6. Do not review on the trophy aspect of the game.

7. Review what YOU think & don’t be influenced by others.

Template

Story:

Gameplay:

Controls:

Graphics:

Sound (Gameplay):

Sound (Music):

Wow Factor:

Replay Value:

Multiplayer Experience:

Rent or Buy this Game?

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: Use the Poll!

Please Use the above as a template for your review. But if you want you can add your own titles. Remember to use the poll!

NOTE: This is not a discussion thread, please only post your reviews. Any other posts will be deleted.

Please don't create these type of threads yourself, If you need further assistance contact:

:psn: Harry94

:psn: OLIVERMC97

Edited by OLIVERMC97

Story: Ace Combat Assault Horizon tries to take a bold step into the real world. Unfortunately the end result is a bland story that we have heard/seen in many books, games, movies, and tv shows before. Not to spoil the plot completely but you will be killing a lot of Russians.

Gameplay: It's pretty much like any previous Ace Combat game with the exception of the new dog fighting mechanic (DSM/ASM). The purpose of this is to create a faster gameplay feel. While newcomers may like it, veteran players may have a dislike for the new system. Helicopters and gunny missions has also been added. For a first time attempt the gameplay feels good, and at some times controls even better than fighters and multirole planes.

A huge problem I have with this game is that missions can drag on too long. Dying in these super long missions make matters even worse. Not only that but it seems that Namco-bandai has swapped number of missions for less longer missions.

As for Online there are four mission types available Capital conquest (team destroy the base/objective), domination (Capture the base), deathmatch and co-op.

Controls: Once you are used to switching between bomber/fighter/heli controls, you shouldn't have any problems. If you enjoy using the original ace combat control scheme, you can switch via the settings menu.

Graphics: It depends what you're looking at. If you're only looking at planes and certain landmarks in the game then they are top notch. There are areas in the game that looks like they took a satellite image and pasted it on to the map.

Sound (Gameplay): Warning signals can be a little annoying at times but over all the game sounds shouldn't have an impact on your experience.

Sound (Music): A great soundtrack from start to finish, however in my opinion, it doesn't top the soundtracks of past games.

Wow Factor: The game loses some of it's wow factor due to a lack luster story, fewer missions, and the fact that the game is hindered by reality.

Replay Value: After beating the game you still have online to look forward to, collecting various skills, color schemes, and trophies to look forward to. But with the community slowly declining so does replay value.

Multiplayer Experience: It's a great game when people is online, but as stated before the community is declining. I have experience lag problems and disconnects that wasn't due to my connection.

Rent or Buy this Game: If you are not going for the plat then renting is a good idea. However if you're going all the way then you should be aware that one of the trophies (Veteran Pilot) Requires 50 hours of online play alone.

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: Ace Combat is a solid game, but fails to impress non Ace Combat fans. The game is targeting the Battlefield/Call of Duty fanbase, and while the change in the gameplay mechanics may upset some of the core Ace Combat fanbase. The game does offer something different. A game that isn't another first person shooter. I give this game an 8 out of 10.

the story line is probely the best thing about it its in depth and get you involved. many of the tophies come from just playing the story, i got 55% without trying. the online is not so good. the onlines like a flying shooter but harder and less fun. the sound and gameplay are good plus the music will get you humming along. for a quick action game i am supparise how good the graphics are. the plat is very easy to get.:dance:

Edited by JGillies

• 1 month later...

Story: The story is pretty good in my opinion, surprisingly good for a game where your entire time is spent flying, and the cut-scenes helped tell the story very well. Though some parts of it could be improved. 7/10

Gameplay: The gameplay is fun, exciting and even intense at times, but as you can probably tell, it does also start to get a bit repetitive at times as well. 7/10

Controls: This game does very well on the controls, they feel smooth and how controls for a Jet and heli should be. Can't say much else really. 8/10

Graphics: There are effects in this game that look awesome. From the sandstorms in Dubai to the explosions of Nukes to thunderstorms, it all looks very nice. However the graphics of the ground while flying are terrible. 7/10

Sound (Gameplay): Not that many different sounds for gameplay, just flying and shooting, but they do sound good. 8/10

Sound (Music): Very good intense music. Helps build up the atmosphere. 9/10

Wow Factor: Not much. It was a fun game, the trinity explosions and effects wowed me a bit. 7/10

Replay Value: The online is dominated by pros, and the free missions are just the campaign over again. Not much replay value unless your a pro. 6/10

Multiplayer Experience: Alright, but can get boring very quickly. 5/10

Rent or Buy this Game? If your looking for a new flying game, with an active online, then this is it. I would rent it if I were you.

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: Use the Poll! 7/10

• 4 weeks later...

Story: not good at all, certainly a step down from past games, however in Ace Combat story always takes a backseat to level design, replayability, and challenge. With that said, the only person with character in this game is your wingman, and that is minimal. AC hasn't always had amazing characters, but they all have some sort of personality at least from their radio comms. The overall plot is about a nightmare but it's only mentioned like twice in the entire game, and there are holes in the story(no defense at all for Washington D.C. besides one ship when they had hours for Markov to fly from Miami to D.C. to name one)

Gameplay: worst part of the game, plagued by class restricted plane choices, DFM scripts out the arse, in past games there was challenge but it was in the form of satisfying furballs, having to actually maneuver your plane(outside of DFM high-g turns are horrible as well), and plane selection in accordance with the mission and your wingmens' loadouts. DFM is just too easy and the game is actually harder than past installments due to random shit that you can in no way avoid

Controls: Good, they switched them up a tad, no missile camera and special weapons are switched from select to square, no biggie.

Graphics: Amazing, perfect and an awesome attention to detail on the planes

Sound (Gameplay): Good, destruction sounds and the like are good, guns sound different depending on the planes use of the Vulcan or otherwise

Sound (Music): Great, another thing they kept up with

Wow Factor: To the average person this has a lot of wow factor. To a flight sim or AC fan, it has little

Replay Value: Biggest blunder, past games had so much, a lot of people still play the PS2 games, but the scripts and lack of variety in the missions literally leaves this game with none whatsoever

Multiplayer Experience: I heard it's better when compared to AC6, personally I like it, when people don't spam GPBs and there aren't idiots DFMing me every 2 seconds and then spamming QAAMs in their Raptors

Rent or Buy this Game? Buy it if you want to play online with people, there is still a decent online playerbase at ACS

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Rating: I can't decide, the online is the only redeeming factor, this game is absolutely horrid simply in terms of the levels, the story isn't that bad, it's the scripted DFM shit, class restriction, no briefings(ok there is like 2 maybe) to at least add some sense of scale, high G-turns that make the game a roller coaster ride, no wingmen commands or plane selection, you get the idea

some people still love this though

Edited by Shika

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Story: Not original or anything but not terrible - 6/10

Gameplay: Quite difficult to find targets, a lot of the time you are just circling around - 5/10

Controls: Have played worse, but not good - 3/10

Graphics: Pretty good - 8/10

Sound (Gameplay): No complaints - 8/10

Sound (Music): Nothing special - 6/10

Wow Factor: Nothing really blew me away - 4/10

Replay Value: Couldn't wait to get the campaign over with, doubt I will ever play it again - 0/10

Multiplayer Experience: Never bothered - N/A

Rent or Buy this Game? Rent it - overall pretty generic.