How I got Chain Master!

King_Ubu

I just got chain master! This is exactly what I did and what happened.

Pick the F-22

Play on rokkie difficulty

Select level blue on blue.

This is what happened.

When you abort the landing and are told to head off to (some village) you encounter the first series of red targets (this is before Big Bear squadron attacks you).

At first theres a small group and I took out around 3 enemies, then another set of enemies appear bringing the total enemy count to around 6 or 7.

Side note: There were NO green targets and the number of allied aircraft is low, this is key to getting the trophy.

I locked onto one and entered DFM, now at this point I didn't fire right away, the target plane began to circle and the rest of the reds followed me and at times actually overtook me... the moment this happened I fired my missiles and machine gun.

As I took one down the auto lock moved onto the next plane.

Again the plane was on it's own so I waited. Sure enough, the rest of the enemy targets overtook me and I destroyed the next plane and just repeated the pattern.

Do not be afraid to occasionally fire your cannon at the plane as this stops it from doing the counter move on you. But you can keep these planes in DFM for a while.

However. on the last plane (number 5) plane six attempted to lock onto me and just as I destroyed the final plane, plane 6 entered DFM, had I waited a bit longer this action would have disrupted my DFM and ruined it.

To summerise.

Mission: Blue on Blue Free Mission.

Difficulty: Rookie.

Plane: F-22

Moment in mission: When you encounter the very first enemies in this mission. (I took out at few before a larger set of enemies appeared.) The Russian squadron had NOT yet appeared and attacked me.

Edit: I also had the following perks running.

* Rookie

* Enhanced MG

* Enhanced missiles

* Enhanced bombs.

Edited by King_Ubu

Thanks a ton, I will definitely be trying this out

The other mission i noticed would be great for this is Hurricane when you're chasing markon and illich

edit: this worked perfectly, what i did to make it easier was i entered dfm with the 1st wave of enemies and shot down 2 before the other enemies came, at that point i was on my 3rd plane and let the reinforcements circle around, and hopped between each one

Edited by Shika

Just some more info.

This is definately the spot to do it in, I've done it 3 times in a row now and it's in the exact same area each time. Each time I do it and get locked on in DFM, so long as I wait a few seconds a second MIG will always fly right beside the one I have target, from then, just destroy it and the auto lock will move onto the one which was beside it.

It's possible to do the 5 chain with the first lot of enemies that appear, no need to wait until the enemy backup arrives.

The trigger for the second wave of MIGs is after you destroy the third mig in the original group.

This means that you can get a chain of 3, then the backup arrives so you don't have to worry about running low on targets.

Also, if you mess up, there is a checkpoint the moment you first encounter the MIGs, so if you wanted to, you could pause the game and select re-start from checkpoint, not sure when the next checkpoint kicks in, but you should be able to save yourself a lot of time trying it this way.

Just some more info.

This is definately the spot to do it in, I've done it 3 times in a row now and it's in the exact same area each time. Each time I do it and get locked on in DFM, so long as I wait a few seconds a second MIG will always fly right beside the one I have target, from then, just destroy it and the auto lock will move onto the one which was beside it.

It's possible to do the 5 chain with the first lot of enemies that appear, no need to wait until the enemy backup arrives.

The trigger for the second wave of MIGs is after you destroy the third mig in the original group.

This means that you can get a chain of 3, then the backup arrives so you don't have to worry about running low on targets.

Also, if you mess up, there is a checkpoint the moment you first encounter the MIGs, so if you wanted to, you could pause the game and select re-start from checkpoint, not sure when the next checkpoint kicks in, but you should be able to save yourself a lot of time trying it this way.

Omg King ubu. Thank you so darn much. You win a cookie :p It's surprising how easy it is to do it in that mission. It's almost scripted easy. xD

maybe I'm terrible at this game, but I cant seem to get this. I can get about 3, 4 tops but its ALWAYS broken up with someone entering DFM on me. Any tips for staying out of enemy DFM and 'having a higher percentage switching lock on targets?

Thanks for the help!

i got this one in the blue on blue mission as suggested which worked out but it took me several attempts

also as i was on i think my third consecutive plane i had to disengage dfm due to enemys targeting me but after i performed the L2+R2 to re enter dfm the chain was still active

so apparently if you get targeted and have to dodge an enemy plane then return to dfm it will still count for your assault chain

I'll get to 3 or on a few occasions 4 and then it'll show that dramatic missile footage destroying the plane and it knocks me out of DFM...

EDIT: To avoid a possible situation like I just mentioned, cause it happened again but it didn't throw me off DFM and I was able to finish the 'Chain Master' trophy after a few more tries..., make sure the "next" plane is also within the circle if not just around it... otherwise when you return to gameplay, that plane will be in a completely different area away from you, thus breaking your DFM chain...

... and thank you King_Ubu for the original blueprint......

Edited by Spidey106

• 2 weeks later...

If this is considered one of the hardest trophies in the game I have to say the (P) is as good as mine. I got this not even going for it or even knowing the mechanics behind it just playing the storymode on normal difficulty for the first time. No special perks unlocked either. Just Rookie.

Edited by Minnesinger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
I just got chain master! This is exactly what I did and what happened.

Pick the F-22

Play on rokkie difficulty

Select level blue on blue.

This is what happened.

When you abort the landing and are told to head off to (some village) you encounter the first series of red targets (this is before Big Bear squadron attacks you).

At first theres a small group and I took out around 3 enemies, then another set of enemies appear bringing the total enemy count to around 6 or 7.

Side note: There were NO green targets and the number of allied aircraft is low, this is key to getting the trophy.

I locked onto one and entered DFM, now at this point I didn't fire right away, the target plane began to circle and the rest of the reds followed me and at times actually overtook me... the moment this happened I fired my missiles and machine gun.

As I took one down the auto lock moved onto the next plane.

Again the plane was on it's own so I waited. Sure enough, the rest of the enemy targets overtook me and I destroyed the next plane and just repeated the pattern.

Do not be afraid to occasionally fire your cannon at the plane as this stops it from doing the counter move on you. But you can keep these planes in DFM for a while.

However. on the last plane (number 5) plane six attempted to lock onto me and just as I destroyed the final plane, plane 6 entered DFM, had I waited a bit longer this action would have disrupted my DFM and ruined it.

To summerise.

Mission: Blue on Blue Free Mission.

Difficulty: Rookie.

Plane: F-22

Moment in mission: When you encounter the very first enemies in this mission. (I took out at few before a larger set of enemies appeared.) The Russian squadron had NOT yet appeared and attacked me.

Edit: I also had the following perks running.

* Rookie

* Enhanced MG

* Enhanced missiles

* Enhanced bombs.

By far, the best place to do this. just got it after a couple tries. There is a checkpoint right before it, in case you miss, making things even easier. Cheers!:applause: