Booking Monsters in the Bestiary

Vltrscrpn

Are bestiary hits cumulative?

What I mean is can I hit a Crystal Slime, for example, 10 times. And then hit a different Crystal Slime 10 times until it adds up to sixty? Or does it have to be the same monster with the same life?

I think it has to be the same monster, with the same life. Sorry. Just wait until you get that Crystal Slime cornered.

Dang it. Oh well, just keep trying I guess. That little guy keeps running through me when I get him cornered.

If you try to book him on From Mode, you can do the following:

1) From Fina's Inn, move east one square, and south one square, on the LEFT side.

2) From there, move north and then south until the slime shows up on the RIGHT side of the small chasm. He'll be trapped there, but he can't touch your character. It can still be a pain to book him, but with patience, it's guaranteed (he appears about once every 20 times or so on From mode, so you won't wait that long).

Otherwise, try to use the lava caves. That's where I found mine (in normal mode, mind you) and keep some potions on hand, or just use your tent.

I think it has to be the same monster, with the same life. Sorry. Just wait until you get that Crystal Slime cornered.

I'm not sure that it has to be the same monster, I tried booking the Crystal Slime several times and when I finally got one to stand still long enough to book him, it didn't seem like it took 60 hits to do it.

bosses take between 30 and 300 hits with the book. have fun.
300 was just one boss, and apparently only in the Japanese release. They dropped that one to 70 for us, thank [insert religious deity of your choice].

From Hapkido's guide:

• Guardian: 30
  • Eelagon: 60
  • Queen Bee: 30
  • Giga Golem: 30
  • Kraken: 70
  • Dragon: 45
  • Dark Knight: 70
  • Dark Bishop Fuelle: 50
  • Dark King Onyx: 70 (this is the one that used to be 300)

And if you want the strategies: 3D Dot Game Heroes FAQ/Walkthrough for PlayStation 3 by EgHeadFool - GameFAQs

I personally found the Dark Knight and Kraken to be the worst two to get. Dark Knight will kick your ass if you aren't careful, and 70 hits is a lot to survive through. Kraken won't kick your ass so much, it's just fucking boring to get that many.

300 was just one boss, and apparently only in the Japanese release. They dropped that one to 70 for us, thank [insert religious deity of your choice].

From Hapkido's guide:

• Guardian: 30
  • Eelagon: 60
  • Queen Bee: 30
  • Giga Golem: 30
  • Kraken: 70
  • Dragon: 45
  • Dark Knight: 70
  • Dark Bishop Fuelle: 50
  • Dark King Onyx: 70 (this is the one that used to be 300)

And if you want the strategies: 3D Dot Game Heroes FAQ/Walkthrough for PlayStation 3 by EgHeadFool - GameFAQs

I personally found the Dark Knight and Kraken to be the worst two to get. Dark Knight will kick your ass if you aren't careful, and 70 hits is a lot to survive through. Kraken won't kick your ass so much, it's just fucking boring to get that many.

It was 300, but in the japanese version, if you were between his legs, he couldn't attack you.

Now he can.

• 1 month later...

This might be the only Gold trophy that I attempt to get in this game... how hard is it? I guess there are probably a few enemies that are annoying to try and book. But overall, is it worth the investment if you aren't planning on Platnium'ing the game anyway.

This might be the only Gold trophy that I attempt to get in this game... how hard is it? I guess there are probably a few enemies that are annoying to try and book. But overall, is it worth the investment if you aren't planning on Platnium'ing the game anyway.

If you don't plan to platinum the game, then it is quite pointless to book any of them.....unless you wish to see the little captions they put with each monster.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any tips on booking the Dark Knight?

This was the only one I had trouble with. Basically, you want to get him after a charge. Don't miss, because otherwise he'll start his stupid spin attack. Sometimes, he would randomly hit me. You can try to hit him at other times, but he's pretty good at defending himself and he can strike pretty quickly.

Basically, bring all 4 of your red potions, lure him to charge, and be patient. This is certainly not the hardest thing to do in the game, but it is painful.

@rabies: It's certainly not pointless to book a boss, as each one has its own trophy (unless you think that all trophies other than the platinum are pointless).

Edited by starcrunch061

Does anyone have any tips on booking the Dark Knight?

Just did it last night without too much trouble. Just keep your shield up and follow him around the room. If you walk into him with your shield while he has his sword out he'll get stunned and then you can hit him. Just stay far enough away so his sword doesn't go through you or you'll suffer some damage.

@rabies: It's certainly not pointless to book a boss, as each one has its own trophy (unless you think that all trophies other than the platinum are pointless).

ooops..good point. I forgot that booking each boss had a trophy...and well they should since that probably the hardest thing in the actual game (minigames not counted here).

• 5 months later...

I can't seem to get the dragon to appear on the world map... I've only seen him twice, once before I was booking monsters..and the second time I noticed him right as I was switching screens (ugh).. What areas is he most common in? I would hate for this one monster to keep me from getting this trophy..

I can't seem to get the dragon to appear on the world map... I've only seen him twice, once before I was booking monsters..and the second time I noticed him right as I was switching screens (ugh).. What areas is he most common in? I would hate for this one monster to keep me from getting this trophy..

You can sometimes get him to appear below the ledge to the southeast just as you exit Hotel Nialliv in regular mode, which means you can beat on him with the book from a step back and he'll keep coming back for more even though he can't hit you, or on the board with ring of stones west of it where you can hit him through the rocks with the book, but not vice versa, but if you're planning on playing through the FROM mode you'll more than likely be seeing a lot more of him than you care to in the future.

dont forget it carries over so maybe you can grab him on the next run.

dark night is very easy.shield up then hit.

You can sometimes get him to appear below the ledge to the southeast just as you exit Hotel Nialliv in regular mode, which means you can beat on him with the book from a step back and he'll keep coming back for more even though he can't hit you, or on the board with ring of stones west of it where you can hit him through the rocks with the book, but not vice versa, but if you're planning on playing through the FROM mode you'll more than likely be seeing a lot more of him than you care to in the future.

Since you posted this I have spent well over 3 hours going back and forth between screens and have had no luck...arethere any other areas? I'm almost ready to give up....

I'm getting pretty fed up with booking the Dark Knight right now. He's the last boss I have to book, even Fuelle and Onyx were easy compared to this guy. He keeps hitting me even though I have my shield up, it's total bull. And that "tip" where everyone just says to shieldbash him doesn't work. I'm guessing one of the updates fixed it.

I'm about to just say screw it and stop playing because if I can't book the guy, there's no point going for the rest of the trophies. :(

the way i did it was when he teleported around the room i tried to get to either side of him while dodging his fireballs and hit him w/ the book. if i didnt score a hit it would freeze him in that spot for a sec or two allowing me to try another hit on him. he would only teleport around the room while i did this, it was very rarely that he would charge at me. i also had 2 bottles of potion and full health and was on normal mode when i was doing this.

Edited by hungherk