Me VS *possible spoilers*

mjc0961

Right, so this isn't really a plot spoiler, so I won't bother with tags. But as some people may not want to know about certain things in game until they encounter them as they play, consider this your warning to leave this thread now. I'll even be super nice and add some filler so I don't start talking about it right after this paragraph. :)

Okay, here we go then! This is a tale of myself, the courageous and awesome hero of Dotnia VS the rare random encounter enemy known as the Blue Dragon.

I first saw him upon first setting foot in the Aldo Heath region of the game:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/mjc0961/3ddotgameheroes/AldoHeath.jpg

I barely had time to realize "Oh shit, that must be the blue dragon that the dude in the castle talked about", take a picture, and then get killed. Round one, he wins. :(

So I reload my game, and go back to exploring the Aldo Heath. The Blue Dragon doesn't appear at the entrance again, confirming my suspicion that it was indeed the rare monster mentioned in the castle. I continue my exploration as normal, just looking around for stuff and adding small fry enemies to my Bestiary as I find them. Nothing special, really.

However, upon entering one screen and fighting some run of the mill Centaur enemies, in the background I see a giant blue thing walking around. "Is that the Blue Dragon back to taunt me again...?" I think to myself. I finish mopping up the small fries and go take a closer look, and indeed, there he is again:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/mjc0961/3ddotgameheroes/AldoHeath_1.jpg

What a cheeky bastard he is! Walking around with that grin plastered on his face, saying "Haha, remember me? I kicked your ass a little while back!" Well, I go up the stairs and stab at him, and quickly run back down before he can get me. He runs over to where the stairs meet up with the upper level, and just sort of stands there. Thinking that maybe I can hit him from a lower level of the stairs, I whip out my Bestiary book and give it a try. It works!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/mjc0961/3ddotgameheroes/AldoHeath_2.jpg

Oh yeah, who's laughing now punk?! Unfortunately, I accidentally pressed my R2 button, which changed my secondary item to a spell, which is then immediately cast because of my :circle: mashing. Only real consequence of this is that my character turns to face me, which turns out to be a dire one. I now have to turn to face the dragon again. Unfortunately, I do it wrong. I manage to hit him with the Bestiary one more time, and see "GET!" appear on the screen. However, I moved too close, and the game registers the dragon touching me. Before I can do anything else, I die. Seeing as how I'm also trying to find out if not saving when you die will still let you get the "Beat the game without dying" trophy like in so many other games, I quit to the title screen without saving, thus losing my Blue Dragon entry to my Bestiary. The score? Blue Dragon: 2, me: 0. :(

Once again, I reload and return to my investigation of the area as normal. I end up seeing it all this time, ending with finding a temple that I can't enter yet because I need an item that lets me burn down trees which I have yet to acquire. Not ready to enter that temple even if I could get in, I turn back and start making my way out of the Aldo Heath. After getting almost out (I think it's only 2 or 3 more screens to the exit from here), I happen to enter a screen and what do I see way in the back, out of view? Another big-ass blue blob. Is he here to laugh at me again?! I get closer, and indeed, he is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/mjc0961/3ddotgameheroes/AldoHeath_3.jpg

Considering that this screen is pretty open in terms of terrain, I expect to get my ass kicked once again. But on the plus side, dying and having to respawn at the inn near the entrance to the region will save me the smallest bit of travel time, so whatever, come beat me down Blue Dragon. I start the attack, and notice that his fireball attacks are blocked by that giant skeleton he's standing near in the above screenshot. "The Bestiary book is pretty big, maybe it can hit through the skeleton" I think to myself. I give a shot, and once again, I find that my crazy plan works!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/mjc0961/3ddotgameheroes/AldoHeath_4.jpg

At this point, I proceed to do my best to keep him on the other side of that skeleton while I throw the book at him (:rimshot:). He manages to get around it quickly and hit me a few times, but in the end, I once again see that lovely "GET!" text appear. I quickly reach for my pause button and manage to save the game. Haha, Blue Dragon! Even if you best me in combat, I still have you saved in my Bestiary FOREVER! I win! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/mjc0961/3ddotgameheroes/IMG_0119.jpg

However, he doesn't kill me. Apparently getting whacked with that book took a lot out of him, because one slash with my sword fells the beast. All he drops is a coin worth 100 gold, but I already got my prize, which is of course getting a rare-to-spawn monster logged in my Bestiary towards that trophy. I've also already copied the save to a USB flash drive, just in case that bastard tries to get the last laugh again by giving me YLOD or something.

So yeah, there it is. My tale about throwing down with the elusive Blue Dragon. I hope it entertained you and maybe gave you a few tips that help you log him in your Bestiary should you encounter him. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

That works too, but don't get too close to the edge: I've gotten rammed by their heads plenty in From mode fighting them like that.

Also had an instance where one of the Knight enemies managed to hurt me even though he was down there and I was up here. This game gets some weird hits on you now and then.