How long does 1 playthrough take?

If memory serves correctly, first playthrough should take 10-20 hours depending if you're using a walkthrough. Longer if you're collecting collectibles on your first.

Oh nice, thanks for the quick reply! I never played the original NES Zelda but are the puzzles/dungeons in this game hard to get through?

I did my normal playthrough without any guides or maps whatsoever and it took about 20 hours (booking and no dying run). My From playthrough using egheads guide to the very end took me 21 hours. I'm about to start my spelunker run but I've heard it takes about 4-6 hours.

The dungeons are really straight forward - nothing too tough.

I did my normal playthrough without any guides or maps whatsoever and it took about 20 hours (booking and no dying run). My From playthrough using egheads guide to the very end took me 21 hours. I'm about to start my spelunker run but I've heard it takes about 4-6 hours.

The dungeons are really straight forward - nothing too tough.

I just picked the game up, how come so little for the Spelunker run? Can the game be that short?

I just picked the game up, how come so little for the Spelunker run? Can the game be that short?

For several reasons. By the time you start your spelunker run:

- You've already played the game at least once and have a good understanding of where to go, what to do, and how to play.

- The spelunker run usually concentrates on only 1 trophy, which is completing it, so you don't need to fully explore the map, book enemies, do additional side quests, or work on other trophies.

- Sword upgrades carry over, along with swords acquired with blocks. This means you should usually buff up excalibur with full length, full strength, pierce, and spin in From mode (as well as the giga sword). If you do this, you'll have completely overpowered swords straight from the getgo, though you'll only be able to use giga sword for the final temple.

Since you need to do 3 runs to plat this game, I'd strongly recommend you do normal playthrough without any guides and concentrate on booking and no death trophies, then do From mode using egheads guide (which helps tremendously with upgrading swords), and finally do spelunker mode to finish up the very last 2 trophies related to spelunker mode.

I started spelunker mode this morning and after 5 hours of gameplay I'm at the final temple.

Edited by TigreBoo

For several reasons. By the time you start your spelunker run:

- You've already played the game at least once and have a good understanding of where to go, what to do, and how to play.

- The spelunker run usually concentrates on only 1 trophy, which is completing it, so you don't need to fully explore the map, book enemies, do additional side quests, or work on other trophies.

- Sword upgrades carry over, along with swords acquired with blocks. This means you should usually buff up excalibur with full length, full strength, pierce, and spin in From mode (as well as the giga sword). If you do this, you'll have completely overpowered swords straight from the getgo, though you'll only be able to use giga sword for the final temple.

Since you need to do 3 runs to plat this game, I'd strongly recommend you do normal playthrough without any guides and concentrate on booking and no death trophies, then do From mode using egheads guide (which helps tremendously with upgrading swords), and finally do spelunker mode to finish up the very last 2 trophies related to spelunker mode.

I started spelunker mode this morning and after 5 hours of gameplay I'm at the final temple.

Thank you very much for the tips. I was reading the beginning of Eg's guide before I started my first playthrough. I read the part about the wishing well in front of Raejack and how they could take "1000s of gol to get the lifeshard" and when I was doing my normal playthrough I actually got the lifeshard from that well on my 2nd try so I decided to follow his guide the whole way through.

If I beat normal mode and go into FROM mode for my NG+ the life shards do not carry over (or is it only the entire life piece you get from beating bosses that do not carry over?)

Also, is there any consequence for rescuing the princess in her true form on my first playthrough (and then not rescuing her in the true form on FROM difficulty) in order to get both trophies (reserve order it says in the trophy guide)?

Edited by QuantumMercury

Thank you very much for the tips. I was reading the beginning of Eg's guide before I started my first playthrough. I read the part about the wishing well in front of Raejack and how they could take "1000s of gol to get the lifeshard" and when I was doing my normal playthrough I actually got the lifeshard from that well on my 2nd try so I decided to follow his guide the whole way through.

If I beat normal mode and go into FROM mode for my NG+ the life shards do not carry over (or is it only the entire life piece you get from beating bosses that do not carry over?)

Also, is there any consequence for rescuing the princess in her true form on my first playthrough (and then not rescuing her in the true form on FROM difficulty) in order to get both trophies (reserve order it says in the trophy guide)?

1. no shards carry over. you start from scrratch again.

2. you need to rescue her for a sword i think, so you need to do this on the run you wanna get the sword trophy in.

Yeah, it's completely random. I've received items from wells (3 different wells in game) either on my very first try or after about 600g worth of tosses.

Your previous life does not carry over at all - you start from scratch with 3 hearts every time (1 heart in spelunker mode).

You can rescue her on any of your playthroughs since she has no role in the trophy associated with receiving all swords. It's really easy to miss her though since it's a time sensitive event (along with a ton of other things in the game). Once you pass a certain point, she's no longer rescuable. I would recommend whatever playthrough you decide to use egheads guide for is when you should rescue the princess since you're already following a detailed list of things to do (including rescuing her).

Edited by TigreBoo

Yeah, it's completely random. I've received items from wells (3 different wells in game) either on my very first try or after about 600g worth of tosses.

Your previous life does not carry over at all - you start from scratch with 3 hearts every time (1 heart in spelunker mode).

You can rescue her on any of your playthroughs since she has no role in the trophy associated with receiving all swords. It's really easy to miss her though since it's a time sensitive event (along with a ton of other things in the game). Once you pass a certain point, she's no longer rescuable. I would recommend whatever playthrough you decide to use egheads guide for is when you should rescue the princess since you're already following a detailed list of things to do (including rescuing her).

That you so much man for answering my questions. From your other posts I have seen in other threads it sounds like the harder difficulties are not as bad as I may think since I carry over my upgraded swords. I was a bit worried that getting all the life shards now and not getting them in my FROM playthrough would make that one much much harder. But I guess it should all be the same.

I've decided to rescue her now and just use the FROM playthrough as a quick runthrough before Spelunker.

• 3 weeks later...

its been so long since i played this game i'm wondering if i should just start over. i was playing it on normal and have no idea what ive done so far. i should probably just finish it and see what i get, then do FROM with the guide and try and not die. or should i try the no deaths on spelunker mode? or like i originally said, and just start over?

its been so long since i played this game i'm wondering if i should just start over. i was playing it on normal and have no idea what ive done so far. i should probably just finish it and see what i get, then do FROM with the guide and try and not die. or should i try the no deaths on spelunker mode? or like i originally said, and just start over?

Well, the main purpose of finishing normal mode is just to unlock FROM mode so you can probably just finish up what you have and then do everything in FROM mode. Usually people try to get the no dying trophy on the normal run as you're more likely to die on FROM or spelunker mode so quiting/reloading gets more tedious. Booking should really be done on the normal playthrough as well. I guess it depends how far along you are in your normal playthrough. Your inventory screen should tell you how many temples you've completed.

Europe = no patch = no carryover of swords and small blocks and more difficult times for games

which can increase the time to complete the platinum if that's what you are interested in.

well you're from Canada so I guess you do have the patch...

lucky you... :(

• 5 years later...

My first playthrough, completely blind, took me about 28 hours. I love to explore whenever I can and I also spent some time trying to figure out what I could and couldn't do based on the events. Didn't look at a scrap of info from a guide. The only temple that really frusterated me was the flame temple. I was hoping the blocks would stay a certain way (like in Link) upon a continue screen, but obviously this isn't the case.